Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1998 YZ125, Resleeve or Rechrome

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  rm250dude 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

We've ran into a 1998 YZ125 Cylinder thats needing a bit of attention from wear, tear, and a bit of Scuffs and Bruises, but wanted to know what the Best route would be..

Should we get this Cylinder Rechromed?

Or Just resleeve It?

Or of course we have the option of just going with new stuff..

Any help would be Greatly appreciated!

Mathew

#2 ·
sleeving is generalling less expensive and when you resleeve the chromium cylinder to a boreable cylinder it costs a lot less the next time you do a top end. instead of buying/rechroming a new cylinder you can have your local shop bore it and throw in a slightly larger piston.

#3 ·
i dont know how much it would be out there for you to do a re-sleeve or the re-chrome but personnally i would say screw either and for 500 something bucks go with the 144 big bore kit!!! but if not i would say re-sleeving it would be your best bet cause then you have a fresh sleeve to work with just in case you need a bore or honing done in the future.

#6 ·
bro those big bore kits are nice!! i was gonna get it for mine but well like you said i got a 250 instead!! but if you dont want a new bike get that!

#7 ·
I was thinking about it too but when you think about it it'll cost slightly more to sell your bike and get a 250 but you get a hell of a lot more power for that. I know switching bikes can be a pain when you're use to the way your bike handles but 125 and 250s of the same make/year are identical frames anyways so it's hard to even notice a diference in handling just the power.

#10 ·
unless it's a service honda cr500af then it's in a completely diferent frame. 2001 cr500 was the last year and they didn't handle nearly as well as the 3rd generation honda frames on the 02-07 cr250s. theirs a reason why 90 percent of freestyle riders use the 3rd generation cr250s. and the distance record on a bike is held by a cr500af I believe as well

#13 ·
i have found the power valves don't work as well plus the nicoseal is 10 times harder than cast iron and wears alot longer.. i wouldn't re sleeve the cylinder

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.