Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default difference between the 85-86, 87, and 88-91 lt250rs?

Can someone please enlighten me of the difference between the 85-86, 87, and 88-91 lt250rs

I know that 87, and 88-91 have powervalve and a different swing arm and motor mounts.

But what make the 87 motor different from 88-91? I heard they are not the same
    1985 Suzuki LT250R Quadracer

Tetris Champion!?!?!?!?! man I better get back on the ball...
    89 LT250R
    Ported
    Head Re-domed
    V-Force2 reeds
    39mm PWK
    PSI pipe

well the obvious thing between the 85-86 is they are not a power valve motor like the 87 and up. I want to say that the frame for the 85-86 was diffrent to?
    1992 LT250R
    Paul Turner Pipe and Silencer
    LRD built motor
    modified air box,uni air filter
    hinson clutchs, basket, pressure plate
    Pro Tapers
    Super Cooler
    17cc Milled Head (spark plug shooter)
    Lowered
    V force stage 3 reeds
    11/42 Gearing
    BLEW UPPPPPPP
    NEW ADDED THINGS
    Now 38mm PJ Jetted to perfection!
    .80mm Wiseco Prolite Piston
    NO Airbox.

Ya I know the frame is different, but someone said the 87 has a different read cage/intake than the 88-91

And DT250, I worked long and hard for that score, If you beat it, the war is on

yea i have heard that to
    1992 LT250R
    LRD built motor
    Pro Tapers
    Super Cooler
    Lowered
    V force stage 3 reeds
    11/42 Gearing
    BLEW UPPPPPPP
    NEW ADDED THINGS
    NO Airbox.

I heard it was bigger, so maby its faster and Suzuki decided to tone it down?

really, i wonder if that can be transfered to the 92???
    1992 LT250R
    LRD built motor
    Pro Tapers
    Super Cooler
    Lowered
    V force stage 3 reeds
    11/42 Gearing
    BLEW UPPPPPPP
    NEW ADDED THINGS
    NO Airbox.

8. Default

The reed intakes are different, as to different size I am not sure but hte cages themselves are different. 85-86 had what I would consider to be an internal reed valvle assembly as it is inside the cylinder behind the piston sleeve. 87 has a five bolt pattern for the reed cage to mount to the cylinder and 88-up have a six bolt pattern for the reed cage to mount to the cylinder. The reeds themselves are also different, you cannot use 88-up reeds in an 87, but I am not exactly sure how they are different I think it is a different bolt pattern again (87 has 4 bolts per side and 88-up has 3 or something like that), hope this helps a little
    87 Suzuki LT250R :p
    FMF Pipe and PowerCore Silencer
    Boyesen Reeds
    Uni Air Filter
    AC Racing Front Bumper
    Answer Handle Bars
    Scott Grips :(
    Complete new Factory clutch w/ KG ClutchFactory Pro Series fibers/drives/springs
    ITP Rims and Maxxis Tires (Rear)
    34 mm Keihin Carburetor

You just got passed, so kiss my a**, now you know you should've been runnin' mixed gas

9. Default

As for the 87 being faster I was told by a suzuki fanatic (he used to race the LT's and swears by the 87) at my local atv dealership that the 87 is the fastest year fo the LT's, but I can not verify that personally. I will say that my 87 definitely has some nut for the minor add ons it has, but I have never ridden another LT so I really can't say from experience.
    87 Suzuki LT250R :p
    FMF Pipe and PowerCore Silencer
    Boyesen Reeds
    Uni Air Filter
    AC Racing Front Bumper
    Answer Handle Bars
    Scott Grips :(
    Complete new Factory clutch w/ KG ClutchFactory Pro Series fibers/drives/springs
    ITP Rims and Maxxis Tires (Rear)
    34 mm Keihin Carburetor

You just got passed, so kiss my a**, now you know you should've been runnin' mixed gas

Blog Entries

Ok here is the low down.

The 87 LT250 and 500 have the bigger intake. This will make it faster if properly adjusted. The 87's by most shop standards is the better cylinder because you can really open it up with a port and polish. However on the LT500 87 it is a 6 bolt head which has issues with studs pulling up from the compression. This can be fixed with larger studs. The 88-90 had 7 studs. (I think that is right I know the 88-90 has one more stud than the 87 not sure if it is 5 studs and 6 studs though)

The cylinders are interchange able so you can put and 87 cylinder onto whatever lower end you want. There were no changes to the lower end. This means you can get what ever cylinder you want but you have to get the head to match.

I am really not sure which is better I have been told that they can open the 88 and up cylinders to be as fast as the 87. I still think the 87 cylinders are better. In the stock state the 87's are faster.

Put it this way I think 1Dirracing makes a reed cage for the 87 that is 10 or 12 petals. I think the 88 and up only can fit a 6-8 petal. This is for the 500 not sure about the 250 though. I know they make reeds for the 250 because I am getting a set for my LT