Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LT500R no compression

I just bought a great looking LT500R. I recently took it to the sand dunes and it died on me. seems all or most of the compression is gone as I can kick it with my hand. I pulled off the head and the piston and rings seem OK? How do I check to see if the power valve is stuck open, or what else could it be? I will replace the top end while I have it apart. but could use some advise on how to check the power valve, or anything else you guys could think of.

Thanks in advance

BUSH

2. Default

I dont know that this is a proper solution or not but, earlier this year I was riding and drowned by zilla out in a big mude hole. When I went to restart it I had no compression and like you said I could push the kicker down easily with my hand.
    I was able to get it running again by pull starting it with another quad. I changed the oil and have been running it ever since. I never did find out what happened. I asked several people and no one had an answer.

was the head gasket blown ?
    what year 87 or 88-90 top end the 87 had 6 head studs the 88-90 had 7
    power valve will not make it loose compression sounds like stuck ring or worn out bore and rings

zilla, sounds like you cold seized it and when you pull started it broke them loose

I am taking apart the head and cylinder and shipping it off to Trinity for a stage 3 port/polish job and some head work. I will throw in new piston and rings and see what happens. Looking at possibly getting the Trinity stage 4 pipe and silencer, I have heard they are nice? anyone know?
    I currently have a Bills pipe and a custom made Polished alluminum silencer and a 45mm carb with K&N Filter. Any other recomendations there?

BUSH

PS its also an 88 LT 500R

i do know that there are way better people out there to port and setup your zilla.i have heard the DR.Q pipes are baddass.not sure if he has any available right now though.

http://www.nologycoils.com
    http://flotekperformance.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/StrokedT...4?feature=mhum
    http://bbdrdirtdrags.com/
    PM for Best Deals on Nology Products
    Custom Fabrication Services: Drag-Bars, Steering Stems, Footpegs, Swingarms, Drag Struts etc.
    Also, Extended Steering Stems, Steel Swingarms & Custom Drag Chassis
    Longtravel Blaster Swingarms
    Quality 4130 Chromoly Material
    *Custom Powdercoating*
    PM for a quote

trinity zillas dont run to strong i have herd but i know tht ct sucks from my own experience my buddy has a 5000 dollar duncan motor that is ok i have a drq 540 hrd now and it is unbelievable but way to much for trails the q pipe made a huge difrence when we put one on the duncan motor

I'm of the opinion that someone with a hacksaw and a shovel, with ZERO porting experience, could build a better engine than both Trinity and CT. But thats just an opinion. There are far better builders out there with MUCH better customer service as well.

There are numerous reasons that can cause loss of compression, but they all deal with gaskets and piston/rings (with exception to actual HOLES in the jug/head). The only way to know is to tear it down.
    2002 Banshee Ported cylinders, ported reed cages w/Boyeson dual-stage reeds, Wiseco stock bore, Flotek .035 milled head, K&N intake adaptor and filter, Trinity pipes (for now anyway), +3+1 arms, Fox TRX450R front shocks Badass without the big bill

1987/90 LT500 Ported cylinder, ported reedcage w/Boyeson dual stage reeds, Wiseco 530 bore, Trinity pipe with custom fabbed silencer, Custom fabbed 144 front hubs and 115 rears with Motorsport Alloys Tork wheels, Sidewinder chain and sprockets, other stuff It's a Zilla, 'Nuff said

I took it all apart this weekend, piston needs replacing. that was my compression issue, 99% sure on that. It was really scarred up in the piston and the cylinder.
    I have a LT250R that had a trinity Stage 2 porting done to it. It beats the rest of my buddies 250s hands down. I though tritnity did a great job on the LT250, that being the reason I was shipping my Zilla cylinder and head to them also. I am hoping it runs as good as my 250 does. I brought it into work today to ship it out. I havent really checked anywhere else to send it to, any other suggestions that might be better.........if I am going to spend the cash, I want it to rip up the hills.

as long as you dont run up on a q built zilla youll be ok