Everything2Stroke Forum banner

95 blaster pops /backfires ,no start

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  ROACHIE 
#1 ·
ok heres my problem
im usually pretty mechanically inclined but this one has me stumped.
i got a 95 blaster bone stock, probably less than 10 hrs on a new piston rings and reeds.oil pump blockoff kit and thats it.i rode it for like 5 hours saturday and it ran great.i put it away for a few days..went to start it up the other day and it wouldnt start..tinkered with it a bit almost got it to fire up a couple times but since then nothing...if i kick it over with the choke on or at WOT with the choke off it will backfire out the exhaust and thats it...it has good blue spark. the plug was a dark brown after i rode it on sat. and not crusty at all.ive checked the reeds and they looked fine the plug just gets wet when i kick it over....i disconnected the TORS but nothing. the compression feels the same as ever....it almost sounds like the timing is off but the only way that could really happen is if i sheared the flywheel key which is unlikely. i tried removing the muffler but that didnt help either..the plug is new and the airfilter is clean....i looked at the piston and it looked like the day i put it in...ANY SUGGESTIONS, I'M FRIGIN STUMPED !!??!!??

#5 ·
Flywheel removal with no puller you say??? Time to attack it with my favorite tool....the blow torch!

But really, you should pull it with the proper tool.

yamaha puller part YU-01235 or k&n 82-0150

If you can't get either of those just take it (with the cover off) to your local dealership, 90% of the time if you just slip a service tech a twenty he will pop it right there for you.

#6 ·
well i just got it back from the shop and they said i have 50psi of compression and probably need a full rebuild....what kind of special tools will i need for this..im talking top and bottom end. they said its possible the left crankshaft seal went and leaned it out...but the piston looks good from the top..WTF

#7 · (Edited)
Sounds like you could have a stuck ring. You said you just rebuilt it less than 10 hrs ago right? No signs of being lean. No hole or divots in the crown. It just doesnt add up. Unless of course your local shop is telling you that to rip you off and you did just shear a key

#8 ·
well you could do the removal and rebuild yourself if its a bone stock 95 you would prolly be best off getting seals, bearings, and crank...its not that hard to split a blaster case as long as you have a flywheel puller...just dont pry on the cases when you go to split them...its soo easy my sister could do it the only special tools you need is flywheel puller rubber mallett and clip removers for the clips on the gears...a nice rubberband wrench would be nice to have but its not needed...i say the hardest part is getting the clutch basket off

#9 ·
yeah thats the thing the piston looks perfect from the top ...no divots chips nething.when u say stuck ring is it possible the ring could have rotated so that the gaps lined up(we were very careful to make sure they were in the right place on the piston when we installed them)..i didnt hone the cylinder walls when i rebuilt it they looked real good.

#11 ·
Well actually you should always rehone a cylinder with a new piston or rings. The hone is what seats the rings. I doubt that is the reason for no compression. If it really only has 50 psi you should be able to kick that thing and it make like ten revolutions. You said you couldnt notice a difference in the kicker. I would get your own tester and check it yourself. It really sounds like a flywheel key to me. Besides a comp tester is one of the most important tools you can have with a 2 stroke

#12 ·
yea im definately not getting ten revolutions per kick outta that sucka..how much for a compression checker ? i assume i just thread the the checker in and kick it over til it wont go any higher, then dump some oil in the piston to see how much it helps? thats how we always did it with cars.i guess im just not seeing how these guys at the shop would try to pull something like that if its so easy to check for myself...also one of my head nuts is missing and always has been ..could this have anything to do with it?the thing ran fine without it before so i dont see how it could, but im new to this, didn't know if it may have a long term effect.

#13 · (Edited)
yea i would test your compression first make sure the threads on the tester arent' longer or shorter than the plug, or it will read inacturate.hold it wide open and kick till she wont rise no more. you said the plug was new is it the same one that you had in it when you rode it or did you put a new one in after it wouldn't start?

#15 ·
id get that head bolt...i had one strip out on me and it ran but i didnt know it was stripped out then one day its blew on me the head came loose sucked air scored my cylinder fried my crank bearings and died it was 2 weeks after installing my 240 kit i was a lil more than upset....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.