Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Gotta say awesome job with what you have done to it looks real trick. What engine modifications have you done so far? You'll be able to pull those tracks a lot better with a built engine and new exhaust.
    2001 Yamaha Banshee,Passion Racing XC 12 port 4 mil,milled head 110 octane, Paul Turner Mids, Pod Filters, ITP HD's F/R, Nology Coil/Hot Wires,V-force 3 reeds, boss intake,33mm pwk's.
    Check out these Fearnot Brand threads!
    Powerful Pictures, http://forums.everything2stroke.com/...ad.php?t=41165
    Worlds Best 250 Strokers, http://forums.everything2stroke.com/...ad.php?t=34607
    "My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball, but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!"

Not sure if this would help you but in the article it says about replacing the sway bars with a Vap-O-bracket. Which allows full travle of teh atv suspension without restrictiing the independent movement. The kit in the article is made by SCI.
    88 Banshee under construction right now..
    87 TRX 250R
    03 Blaster being built to eat 450's :violent3:

The engine has been rebuilt and it was bored out. I believe it was only bored out .020 over. Other than that, it's a pretty stock motor; no porting, no high compression piston, no aftermarket head, etc. Other than a FMF RAM valve and FMF silencer, it's prett well stock.

I'm also trying to find some information on jetting my carburetor. I believe the stock jet is a #350 and I currently have a #360 in it. I also have a #*** kicking around.

I was talking with someone at a local shop and he says they usually run up to #450 jets in 2-stroke machines in cold weather (0-30 degrees F). He thinks I should be running at least a #400 jet.

Is there a chart out there that will tell me what I need to run in cold weather? Can someone point me in the right direction? I did a quick search but I could not find anything.
    Last edited by SnowZilla; 01-25-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    1989 Suzuki LT500R QuadZilla (a.k.a. SnowZilla)
    ** Camoplast (AD Boivin) Traxion+ Tracks ** Ski-Doo Precision Skis ** Engine Rebuilt and Bored Out ** Q Pipe on the way! ** V-Force 2 Reeds ** Graydon Proline Skid Plates ** DuraBlue Axle
    1987 Suzuki LT500R QuadZilla (a.k.a. SnowZilla II)
    ** Virgin Engine ** Trinity Pipe ** Boyesen Reeds ** Ohlins Front Shocks ** LoneStar Steering Stem ** ProTaper Bars ** DG Nerf Bars ** PRM Bumper & Skid Plates

SnowZilla on YouTube

You need to be running high octane, pump gas is bad on the zilla and will ruin the motor over time. what ratio are you running? I would have your head squish fixed and make sure your not running out of fuel in 4th. They commonly will do that and theres a petcock mod you can do to get it flowing better. Thats a nice looking snow quad and looks like plenty of fun!

DR Q pipes can be found here. www.quadracerhq.com There is a waiting list, but they are worth everyday.

In terms of valves, I believe I currently have an FMF RAM Valve installed. Will the V-Force 3 provide a noticeable difference?

OK, now translate into stupid for me. What is a "640 kit"?
    VF3 reeds aren't as good as vf2. Get vf2 if you get new reeds, but whats the point unless you match the head, carb, pipe and reeds?

The 640 kit is nothing.

You wont need it even if it existed. If you have deep pockets and want to go very fast its very possible. If you want to make a good quad run better thats possible too. Check out Q if your serious about your quad. Possibility's are endless if the money is. The question is How fast do you want to go, thats what you need to know first.
    Last edited by 92rslt1; 01-25-2008 at 09:52 PM.
    87lt250 - stock
    87lt250 - hybrid 250/500
    07 yz450f

Quote Originally Posted by 92rslt1
    You need to be running high octane, pump gas is bad on the zilla and will ruin the motor over time. what ratio are you running?
    I was running straight 93 octane with Bel-Ray H1R at a 40:1 mix ratio. However, I was going to try a 50/50 mix of racing fuel and 93 octane along with Spectro Platinum SX2 at a 32:1 mix ratio.

I would have your head squish fixed and make sure your not running out of fuel in 4th.
    Head squish? What is this and how is it fixed? New head?

They commonly will do that and theres a petcock mod you can do to get it flowing better.
    Where can I get more information about this petcock mod?

DR Q pipes can be found here. www.quadracerhq.com There is a waiting list, but they are worth everyday.
    What is the ballpark price on a DR Q pipe for the LT500?

VF3 reeds aren't as good as vf2. Get vf2 if you get new reeds, but whats the point unless you match the head, carb, pipe and reeds?
    The guy at the local powersports store is telling me they don't even make VF3s for a LT500 although I'm pretty sure I have seen them available online. Why are the VF2s better?

If you have deep pockets and want to go very fast its very possible. If you want to make a good quad run better thats possible too. Check out Q if your serious about your quad. Possibility's are endless if the money is. The question is How fast do you want to go, thats what you need to know first.
    I have already put a good chunk of change into the track kit but I'm prepared to put a little more to improve performance. It has been over 10 years since I have sunk any real money into this machine so it's probably time. I would like some additional top end but I still want to be able to ride it in the trails and pits.

By the way, I found the following page in my manual about the jetting. It recommends a #360 for below 50F. I may try the #*** tomorrow and do a plug chop after opening it up on the lake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	10858
    ** Camoplast (AD Boivin) Traxion+ Tracks ** Ski-Doo Precision Skis ** Engine Rebuilt and Bored Out ** Q Pipe on the way! ** V-Force 2 Reeds ** Graydon Proline Skid Plates ** DuraBlue Axle
    ** Virgin Engine ** Trinity Pipe ** Boyesen Reeds ** Ohlins Front Shocks ** LoneStar Steering Stem ** ProTaper Bars ** DG Nerf Bars ** PRM Bumper & Skid Plates

SnowZilla on YouTube

I was running straight 93 octane with Bel-Ray H1R at a 40:1 mix ratio. However, I was going to try a 50/50 mix of racing fuel and 93 octane along with Spectro Platinum SX2 at a 32:1 mix ratio.
    Good idea mixing to bring up the octane.

Head squish? What is this and how is it fixed? New head?
    The stock head can be corrected. Stock it has a very bad squish and will cause more wear and detonation. Google squish to get the technical details. In a quik nut shell its just as it sounds, the squish distance between your head and piston.

Where can I get more information about this petcock mod?
    http://z15.invisionfree.com/LT250_LT...showtopic=1265

What is the ballpark price on a DR Q pipe for the LT500?
    I cant tell you the exact price, because im not sure. I do know they are very quality and worth the price. I think mine was $650 shipped with everything needed to run, but mine was hybrid. http://www.quadracerhq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916
    The guy at the local powersports store is telling me they don't even make VF3s for a LT500 although I'm pretty sure I have seen them available online. Why are the VF2s better?
    The VF3 are redesigned to save them money, they snap together and were designed around reliability.. basicaly they are stiffer. They hardly make a difference over stock. The company was bought out by another company and since then has gone down hill. VF2 are the best setup for the Zilla that there is.

I have already put a good chunk of change into the track kit but I'm prepared to put a little more to improve performance. It has been over 10 years since I have sunk any real money into this machine so it's probably time. I would like some additional top end but I still want to be able to ride it in the trails and pits.

By the way, I found the following page in my manual about the jetting. It recommends a #360 for below 50F. I may try the #*** tomorrow and do a plug chop after opening it up on the lake.
    Sounds like you need a Q pipe, carb mod and reeds, fix the head and piston thrust washers then run it. Later on if you crave a little more, port it, get it breathing better. The 87 was the best year for race perfomance so if you want all out screemer get an 87 jug and have it ported. From the way your talking Im betting just bolt ons might get you were you wanted. I'm in the same class as you... I don't ride dune only i ride pits, tracks and play ride thus mines good with the bolt-ons and a mild port. Honestly if you talk to anyone else who has had 540's and or crazy porting they will tell you its too much to handle in the trails and track. For some this isn't a bad thing for others like myself... I like walking and need my legs. lol

Heres the jetting manual..
    http://z15.invisionfree.com/LT250_LT...?showtopic=833

I have done countless hours of studying up on Q racers, hell i have ridden them since i was a kid. you need anything else feel free to ask. I rarley forget anything about them.
    87lt250 - stock
    87lt250 - hybrid 250/500
    07 yz450f

Thanks for answering my questions.

I just uploaded my first video to YouTube. It's not very good. The person running the camera didn't realize it wasn't recording for a good part of the time so most of the fun stuff was lost. I will try again tomorrow. I need to get some video of the wheelies, jumps (small ones), cookies, high speed trail riding, etc. In the mean-time, here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALr2Y8Dvj9w

SnowZilla on YouTube

Nice, looks like fun. I had a chance to buy a zilla with the track kit and skis all for $2800. I was strapped for cash at the time and couldnt afford it. Now i wish i would have gotten it. Thats awsome!
    87lt250 - stock
    87lt250 - hybrid 250/500
    07 yz450f

Nice, looks like fun. I had a chance to buy a zilla with the track kit and skis all for $2800. I was strapped for cash at the time and couldnt afford it. Now i wish i would have gotten it. Thats awsome!
    That's essentially purchasing a track/ski kit and having them throw in the Zilla. Let me know if you plan to ever pass up a deal like that again!

SnowZilla on YouTube