Everything2Stroke Forum banner

Track & Ski Kit for my LT500R

6K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  SnowZilla 
#1 ·
I thought I would share my recent modifications to my 1989 LT500R. The track and ski kit uses Camoplast Traxion+ tracks (formerly AD Boivin) in the rear and a custom bracket kit in the front. The front bracket was modeled after the one made by AD Boivin. I have Ski-Doo Precision Skis (twin carbides) mounted on the front brackets. I bought the tracks used and, unfortunately, I heard that Camoplast has discontinued the Traxion+ tracks. The Traxion+ unit is not "gear reduced" and uses a 24" wheel to turn the track.

With three of us working on it, it took about 8 hours to fit it up to my machine. Once it's fitted though, it's relatively easy to switch back and forth. I imagine it would take about 30 minutes to switch over ... an hour worst case.

The second day of riding, I snapped the bolt holding the rear stabilizer bar and the track came ripping up through my fender (original plastic). It destroyed my fender and my fender support bracket. It almost got my leg as well but the fender bracket stopped it in time. Good thing it didn't because it's a studded track. I ordered new plastic and a new bracket for my machine but I was also able to patch together my original fender. I think I will keep the patched fender on it for now just in case it happens again.

I have attached some pictures. I need to take some better pictures and video of it in action. That is a GPS unit strapped on my headlight. I was able to get 62MPH out of it on the ice. I can only seem to get about 52MPH on hard packed snow. I realize the studs are not helping. I have heard that studded tracks can reduce speed by as much as 8 MPH. I recently purchased a spare set of non-studded tracks for this kit so I may give them a try. With the studs on the hard packed snow, the machine begins to bog a bit in 4th/5th and I'm not hitting the power band properly. I'm running the stock 13T front sprocket and a non-stock 42T rear sprocket. I need to tune it up better as I would like to be able to get 60MPH+ on the hard packed snow and 70MPH+ on the ice. Any recommendations on how can I get some better speeds out of it?

I also noticed that I have an odd "dead spot" in the machine and it only seems to happen in 4th gear. As I begin to gain RPM in 4th gear and approach the power band, the RPMs suddenly drop out and the machine begins to bog. If I immediately switch to 5th gear, it seems to recover and operate normally. The RPM slowly increases in 5th and I'm able to reach the power band. Any ideas on this?

This machine is a blast on the snowmobile trails and, to my surprise, it can really go through some deep snow. It's also a blast to open it up on the lake. I have never really been able to use much of 4th and 5th gear on this machine. It's nice to finally use those gears. I have taken some jumps with the kit but I'm hesitant about getting too much air. The tracks weigh about 75 lbs each and all that extra weight is transferring directly to the axle instead of through the suspension. In addition, it really throws off the balance of the machine.

Let me know what you think.

View attachment 10822

View attachment 10823

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the site. I live in Maine as well and can't help wondering how you're able to ride on any snowmobile trail without getting hauled off by the wardens/gestapo.

#7 ·
Kane said:
Welcome to the site. I live in Maine as well and can't help wondering how you're able to ride on any snowmobile trail without getting hauled off by the wardens/gestapo.
It's registered as a snowmobile. Once it has tracks and skis, it's considered a snowmobile under Maine's snowmobile laws and can be registered as such. I checked with the MSA prior to purchasing the kit and they confirmed this.

I don't plan to do much trail riding with it. I just wanted access to the trails so I can get to the lakes.

The kit cost me around $2k used with studs, skis, brackets, etc. The guy I purchased them from even helped me to adapt them to my machine. The kit would cost closer to $3k if you purchased it new.

#9 ·
There's something diff for 2Stroke OT Month submission!!

That's a hella cool machine!! Can you get that 500 to wheelie? Video is a must!! Thanks for sharing your project.

#10 ·
you can reduce the rotational mass, this seems like lt would be alot more weight than stock.

#11 ·
joe22883 said:
Thats cool...i actually have an old dirt wheels with tthis kit in it and the test it on a lt500!
Thanks. I have heard of this article. What issue number is it? What is the date on the magazine? I would like to get a copy of this issue.

#13 ·
climb any hill said:
There's something diff for 2Stroke OT Month submission!!

That's a hella cool machine!! Can you get that 500 to wheelie? Video is a must!! Thanks for sharing your project.
For 2Stroke OT Month, would I need to submit it or does someone else need to submit it? How does that work?

I can easily get her to wheelie. However, the rear stabilizer bar limits the height of the wheelie. The stabilizer bar connects from the track to the frame and prevents the rotation of the entire track assembly. I would need to fool around with the stabilizer bar to get a bigger wheelie out of her.

#14 ·
here is it..its from march 96 ill try and get some other scans of the article later on tonight.

IMG]http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/joe22883/zilla.jpg[/IMG]

#19 ·
Looks sweet! Couldn't you just change your gearing to go faster? Sure it'll take off slower, but if it's lifting up already anyways. You could sacrifice a bit off the bottom for some extra on top. Then if you like the top end but not the bottom...start modding the engine to make up for what you lost on the bottom. I hate to say it too......but it looks like a video is needed! Starting to feel a little "withdrawlish" need a video "fix"

#21 ·
I love that cranker shee on the dirt wheels cover

#23 ·
joe22883 said:
yea too bad dirt wheels is not like that anymore..
:angry2: That blows, upsets me every time:angry2: Paulie's Blaster DW article was sure a blast from the past!!
SnowZilla said:
For 2Stroke OT Month, would I need to submit it or does someone else need to submit it? How does that work?
We used to have a submission thread but stick around you'll see the new rules for the contest soon!

#24 ·
joe22883 said:
here is it..its from march 96 ill try and get some other scans of the article later on tonight.
I really appreciate you scanning that for me. I have always wanted to see the pictures and read the article. I'm curious to see how they configured the stabilizer bars since it looks slightly different than mine. I will look forward to the rest of the article. Again, thank you very much!

#26 ·
joe22883 said:
here is the article about it sorry for the crappy quality not even sure if you will be able to read it..
yeah its readable.. cool article.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.