Default Transmission oil capacity?

On my 1987 250R next to where it says oil check, there is some rubber gasket stuff smeared in the the little hole. I was wondering if this was a little clear window at one point to check the oil level, I have never owned a two stroke gear driven machine before so I'm not sure. It also appears like its just 40 weight oil in there, should i use the heavy weight stuff like 75 or 80W and how much is supposed to be in there??

Quote Originally Posted by Needa250R View Post
    On my 1987 250R next to where it says oil check, there is some rubber gasket stuff smeared in the the little hole. I was wondering if this was a little clear window at one point to check the oil level, I have never owned a two stroke gear driven machine before so I'm not sure. It also appears like its just 40 weight oil in there, should i use the heavy weight stuff like 75 or 80W and how much is supposed to be in there??
    There are a bunch of ways to know how much oil you need.
    Some have a dipstick.
    Some have a clear oil viewing window.
    Look for the oil capacity printed in cc's on the clutch cover,
    and some like my bike have an overflow screw on the clutch cover, simply unscrew it and fill with oil until it comes out the screw hole.
    "Paul,
    Thanks for sending the pictures - looks like a lot of fun! You did a great job."
    Regards,
    Bob Hannah

My motor is from 79'....Where will your 450 be in 30 years???
    DC facebook / Paul Baugher
    For details click here

The oil capacities for the 250R are twofold.
    1) .6 litres for oil change
    2) .7 after dissassembly
    Honda recommends 10-40Wt engine oil

I never calculated what the capacity is with the oil check bolt, but if you measure out 600cc's of oil and dump it in that's probably the most accurate and least messy. OIl bottles often have the clear line in the side that helps you figure out what capacity you've dumped in.
    All250R - For the development and preservation of 2stroke racing technology

Going along with all250r, .6 of a quart is what I put in mine. I have had problems with both my drain plug and the oil check plug. So I have filled mine and drained it in the same day more than a few times over the years. (don't ask) It has ended up just over a half a quart.
    88 330R
    06 500R
    86 310R missile
    02 954RR

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

wow i always dump a whole quart in mine,oops

i run honda 80-85 comes in a red bottle and is sold at the honda store, says its made for the cr's and the fourtrax 250rs so thats what i use...
    I dont just want to be another guy, with a pipe and a payment...

1986 Honda TRX 250r
    1998 Yamaha YZ 125
    1990 Suzuki RM 250
    1986 Kawasaki JS 300
    1986 Kawasaki JS 550

I have used automatic tranny fluid before in the past,regular 10w30 as well.no synthetic stuff though

Quote Originally Posted by superevil View Post
    wow i always dump a whole quart in mine,oops
    thats about what I do sometimes. mine has a hair-line crack in the left hand case half and it likes to leak oil a little, so I usually add a little extra to make up for it.
    98 banshee XC racer
    stock motor, T5's, hiper front wheels, Maxxis razr II's all around, gripper seat, lonestar a-arms, TCS front shocks..........more to come.......