Everything2Stroke Forum banner

Transmission oil capacity?

17K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  ky 2stroker 
#1 ·
On my 1987 250R next to where it says oil check, there is some rubber gasket stuff smeared in the the little hole. I was wondering if this was a little clear window at one point to check the oil level, I have never owned a two stroke gear driven machine before so I'm not sure. It also appears like its just 40 weight oil in there, should i use the heavy weight stuff like 75 or 80W and how much is supposed to be in there??

#2 ·
There are a bunch of ways to know how much oil you need.
Some have a dipstick.
Some have a clear oil viewing window.
Look for the oil capacity printed in cc's on the clutch cover,
and some like my bike have an overflow screw on the clutch cover, simply unscrew it and fill with oil until it comes out the screw hole.

#3 ·
The oil capacities for the 250R are twofold.
1) .6 litres for oil change
2) .7 after dissassembly
Honda recommends 10-40Wt engine oil

I never calculated what the capacity is with the oil check bolt, but if you measure out 600cc's of oil and dump it in that's probably the most accurate and least messy. OIl bottles often have the clear line in the side that helps you figure out what capacity you've dumped in.

#4 ·
Going along with all250r, .6 of a quart is what I put in mine. I have had problems with both my drain plug and the oil check plug. So I have filled mine and drained it in the same day more than a few times over the years. (don't ask) It has ended up just over a half a quart.

#8 ·
thats about what I do sometimes. mine has a hair-line crack in the left hand case half and it likes to leak oil a little, so I usually add a little extra to make up for it.

#6 ·
i run honda 80-85 comes in a red bottle and is sold at the honda store, says its made for the cr's and the fourtrax 250rs so thats what i use...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.