Everything2Stroke Forum banner

Outboard 2-stroke oil ?

6K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  NELSON 
#1 ·
Anyone here successfully using outboard/marine 2-stroke oil ?

I am going to a local track in the morning and I have no oil to mix in with my fuel. All stores are closed right now except for the typical Autozone/Pepboys/Advanced... so I went and found Pennzoil Marine 2-stroke Synthetic-Blend oil.

Products - Synthetic Blend Premium Plus Outboard 2-Cycle Oil

Will this hurt my '03 CR250R's motor? Or the Power Valve? If I can get something better, I will do my best... I have some fuel in the tank for now, and hope someone at the track will sell me some of their "better" oil, unless someone on here can chime in and tell me that this oil that I purchased will do me just fine. I plan on mixing it at 32:1.

And yes, this is my 1st two-stroke... I just got it and haven't even ridden it yet. My friend and I made plans last minute, and this is the only oil around. Didn't check Wal-Mart though.

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the silly question!

Dan

See less See more
#3 ·
ive ran something close after i got mine and did not have any problems ran it for a year or so, there is a thread on the same thing telling why its not good for atvs and cycles

#5 ·
if u cant get anything better, using a tank or two should not kill your engine,

#9 ·
Thanks guys, my friend now wants to go later on instead of early.... which may allow me to find a place that has a "good" oil. I'd rather find something and not have to worry about it, hopefully NAPA has something as they do carry Lucas and Royal Purple around here.

I also am not able to SEARCH on this site for some reason, otherwise I wouldn't have posted this.

#10 ·
Sorry for the silly question! Dan[/quote said:
first off, this is not a silly question. this is the real reason why we are all here, to help the people that dont know, and to keep learning ourselves in the process. however, i am going to have to go agianst the grain on this one. if you where in a pinch and thats all you could get your hands on to make a single trip to get back somewhere, then id say your fine, but to go out for a day of riding i feel would not be a good idea. some may have used this succesfully for a tank or two, possibly for the reason that you got some, but it's still not a good idea in my oppinion and heres why.
water cooled or even air cooled two stroke motors run at high temps, and the oils used for them are formulated for their temperature ranges.
outboard motors run alot cooler due to the fact that they have a constant flow of fresh cool water coming from the river,lake, ocean,ect. they never put the coolant in a radiator to try and cool it down befor re-entering the motor.
the oils used for them is formulated for their operating temperatures.
i know your not planning to use it all the time, but just a little something to think about.

I also am not able to SEARCH on this site for some reason said:
i believe you can use this feature once your post cont gets up just a little more.
or you could become a supporting member and have full use of the site.

#11 ·
strokeittwice443 - thanks for the info! I'll look into becoming a supporting member, cause this seems to be a great site just for 2-smokes!!!

Also found out that Cycle Gear is open today, so I have my choice of:

Bel Ray MC-1 / S2 / S1-7 Synthetic / H1-R Synthetic
Motul 800 / 710 Synthetic
Castrol TTS Synthetic
Motorex Synthetic
Redline Race

#12 ·
everybody has their preferance,but of the ones you listed, the Belray mc-1 is the one that i use.
i use it in race motors, stock motors, my weedeater, chainsaw and leafblower.
it;s allways available here locally and have never let me down. gret stuff in my oppinion.

#16 ·
Yeah thats what I usually do. This is just my opinion, I usually use castor oil to break in my topends, then switch to a good synthetic once I'm done. I usually run Redline synthetic after it is broke in. This is JMO and I'm sure others probably do it different.

#18 ·
i run synthetic all the time so i break my motor in with the same oil. i just run a thicker mixture for about a half a tank.
we all have our own little ways of doin that.

#19 · (Edited)
Learning a lot here... thanks guys! Maybe I should have just gotten the Maxima Super-M instead? My motor is already broken in, and it would have been $10 cheaper too. The guy at the counter highly recommended the 927, so I went with it. I'm reading that the 927 is a little gummy and may gunk up the powervalve, and that is recommended more towards people that tear down their motors more often.

#23 ·
Around here local auto parts stores have AMS oil for $10 a quart. I am officially getting off the high end oil wagon. Today I ran $4 quart Valvoline 2-stroke oil multipurpose. I saw the Penzoil marine also $4. Local Marina used to sell Yamalube 2-s and 2-r for like $20 a gallon, but they got rid of all their old stock this year.

Also I am using Valvoline 4T 4-stroke motocycle wet clutch transmission oil in my KX250 with no problems. Also $4 a quart.

The Valvoline 2-stroke mix oil has no info about whether is synthetic or castor or blend. I did not like the lack of info, but I am tired of spending the big bucks for an older crappy bike.

Oil is oil to me anymore.

You can run marine and snowmobile oil, and not do any damage. Hell you could probably dump $2.50 10w40 in your gas, just as long as there is oil in there.

The oil debate will never end but I am long over it now.

#24 ·
I understand how you feel. A 30oz bottle of yamalube is $15 dollars at my dealer. Were as I can get a gallon of marine oil for $17 bux at walmart. I know I sould run the good stuff, and I do.......

I've heard of a few people that have been racing down in mexico, that missed a pit etc. and filled up on pemix and used 10w40 to make the next pit.

#25 ·
honestly.. run a clean burn oil, EVERY two stroke i have owned got pro honda hp2 100% synth, and designed for the honda cr motors.. super clean burn, lesss plug fowling, and since its clean burn, and not a 'gummy' oil, less port poer ( power valve) service is needed, clears out fast, kinda pricy, honda dealer carrys it for & something a bottle and one bottle makes 4 gallons at 32:1..

ran it in my first blaster and i put 30 hours on a spark plug before i finnaly changed it after re jetting

#27 · (Edited)
I have run Lots of different oils and I would say AMS Dominator burned the cleanest. When I removed the top end I found like no oil in the crank case. Before I used Yamalube and found lots of oil on the crank. That crank and bearings were still good after being used for 17 years. Power valve never seized.

To me finding no oil on my old crank and bearings is bad. The older the bike the more likely to find a poor design of keeping the crank and main bearings oiled.

Carbon and spooge? Yeah, my jetting is usually rich anyway. I often mix 32:1 cause it is easy to read 4oz. increments off the quart bottle.

Keep an open mind about it.

#29 ·
this is just my experiance ... no oil at all sure burns super clean but that doesnt mean its lubricating and protecting your expenisve engine ,in tearing apart motors nearly every day there are 2 oils i have personaly found that work the best on a high rpm 2 stroke (if they are jetted right!) and those are Klotz supertechnaplate and Castor 927 ,yes the 927 and klotz can leave a fine waxy film but as long as you service your topend in a timely manner and your not running pig fat on the jetting the build up is minimal and protection is a real benefit to reliabilty and longevity.I would tell you what the worst oil on the market is but the folks at amsoil might get mad so i wont .

#30 ·
castor oil not only protects fro m scuffs and wear but has a higher BTU rating than gasoline does ,in other words it makes power not just by reducing friction but in its inherant burn rate properties. cant think of too many guys who would give up free extra power

#32 ·
I totally agree with this. I always liked 927 it is what I started out with. Yamalube is a castor and synthetic blend and that is why I liked it too.

Castor oil is the way to go if you can afford it and know how to handle it in cold weather. I ran 927 in the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.