Everything2Stroke Forum banner

advanced timing?

9K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  dajogejr 
#1 ·
i got a 01 banshee and i advanced the timing +2,+3,+4 and nothing runs as good as stock?? its a ricky stator adjustable timing plate.. we tried 3 diff settings and nothing runs a good as stock or set at 0 it dont even sound the same at +2 or more.. could the timing plate be marked wrong? and we would be retartding the timing instead of advancing it? any info is appreciated.. thanks

#2 ·
You're twisting that plate towards the right? What all mods do you have?
What other Ricky Stator products are you running?

#3 ·
just make sure you're twisting the plate clockwise

#6 ·
advancing the timing on a gas unported engine will not yeild the gains that it will on a ported high compression engine. It takes a little longer to burn race fuel is one reason for advanced timing, another is to get back some bottom end on a dune port setup or a low end port with high compression to just get that much more out of it. You should still notice it being a little more crisp on your setup. Check your jetting, timing can make your jetting vary quickly, which is probably the sound difference you hear when you get to +4. Its probably getting pretty lean at that point if you were close on the jetting stock

#7 ·
were running VP Red which is 108 octane mixed with Yamalube 2R = 40:1, its stock bore stock compression.. advancing the timing actually made it burn richer the plug is darker with the timing advanced then it is set at the stock position..

#8 · (Edited)
Which way are you turning it? Clockwise is advanced.

Come to think of it though, if your running stock compression with race fuel you probably will get richer advancing for a few degrees, the fuel is burning more completely. A banshee can take alot of timing when your running race gas and likes more on alky. Watch your plug and keep moving up 1 degree at a time. I bet you'll end up around +7 to +8. Just watch for detonation.

#11 ·
Race fuel on stock compression??? Why? I think that is more the problem than the timing plate. Also its a Ricky Stator product. No telling if the marks are right. Match your stock plate against the new one and see if it is correct. Then go back to 93 octane fuel.

#12 ·
thanks for the pic DallasGDub, and at BBDR you have to run race fuel because if they test your gas and ur running regular pump gas wheither it be 87 octane or 93 it fails on there tester, it reads as alcohol because of the ethanol additives in pump gas.. trust me i know, the first year me and my dad raced there they tested his gas and it failed and he got disqualified at nationals for running Sheetz pump gas..

#13 ·
You run at bbdr. Where ya from. I live about 30 min northwest of the track. I know what you mean about the testing, heard alot of people had that issue. Kinda sucks but there are a few "cheaters" down there lol. what class are you running?

#16 ·
You can't find regular pump gas without ethanol in it around there? Odd...
As said, no reason for race fuel on that motor, and there is no reason it shouldn't run better, noticeably, with your list of mods and ONLY advancing the timing.

When you advance, it...did you double check the pickup gap? Set it .015 to .018.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.