Everything2Stroke Forum banner

Hydraulic brake conversion

59K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  thompson.jamesc 
#1 ·
Looking for info on a hydraulic rear brake conversion for a 02 blaster.

the rear brake that came with the bike if off, and disassembled into a million pieces, and to boot, looking at the caliper, i hve NO IDEA where or even HOW any brake pads would go into this thing.

so instead of pull my hair out, instead of buying pads, and sitting down for a few hours to put together this clusterf*&k of a mess, i figured it would be easier to put a hydraulic brake on this thing.

do they make a bolt on and go kit, or is it something that has to be pieced together?

#2 ·
I was told the Bansee rear brakes bolt right up, but would have to have a way to mount the master cylinder.

I think there is a way to use the Banshee front also or the 03 and up Blaster had hydros standard.

I am new to the Blaster world myself I bought on that was an unfinished project.

#3 ·
This one uses the banshee setup.

blaster **NEW** rear hydraulic brake kit caliper : eBay Motors (item 250566322866 end time Feb-18-10 09:40:36 PST)

This is a complete bolt on kit for an 88-02.
ATV Accessories - George's Outdoor Sales and Service

Both of those are about the best you get for bolt on and go rear brakes.If you have acces to a welder and can fab up some parts then I can give you multiple ways and pics of doing it.Front and rear brakes for that matter.You can get an 03-06 blaster carrier and the shee,warrior,03-06 blaster rear calipers will bolt right up,but you will still need to extend the pedal and make a bracket for the master cylinder,the resorvoir can use an existing tab.You can also get 03-06 right side peg and brake lever and that will keep you from having to extend your existing pedal.You can cut a brake boss off of a shee and weld it to the blaster carrier and it is just about the same as an 03-06 blaster carrier.I have a wealth of information on this conversion and many of pics to match what I have done in all my experiences.Let me know which way you want to go and I will steer you in the right direction.

#4 ·
jus to add to dualstrokes mass of helpful info...u will need an axle and hydro disc hub match 03 and up...i've heard that a tri z rear end will go rite in but, i'm not familiar with the tri z transition myself...i used a shee axle and disc hub that went rite in to my carrier and i still need to get a rear brake set.

#6 ·
You are correct menace,thanks for picking up on that.There are so many variables and ways.lol.The parts he has now will go onto the 03 carrier with no problems but it is a good idea to do the shee axle and brake hub cause the blaster uses a floating rear rotor design and a fixed caliper where the shee uses a fixed rotor with a floating caliper design.Only difference in the 88-02 years and the 03-06 years is just the mount for the caliper,all else is the same.

#7 ·
I know if you want to put front hydros on your blaster you will to get a set of 03 or newer front spindels to mount the brakes on to.

#8 ·
I did the conversion on Alexia's blaster with all banshee stuff. I had all the parts already, minus the newer blaster carrier and brake pedal. So I was not out very much cash.

If I had to buy all this stuff, I would have just bought the 04+ blaster brakes and been done with it.

Here is what parts it took:
Rear,
1 hydro Blaster rear brake pedal
1 hydro Blaster rear carrier
1 complete rear banshee brake minus pedal
Fabbing up a master cyl mount to the frame. We could have used the old carrier and fab up a caliper mount, but I did the banshee axle swap as well. So I decided to just make it easy and get a newer blaster carrier. The hydro caliper bolts right up.

Front:
2 complete banshee spindles and hubs
Reaming and drilling the banshee spindles to fit the stock blaster a-arms. Have to fab up a lock nut and bolt.

Keep in mind this was the start of the build on the blasty. We have not made our way around to "the looks" department, so it is no looker...lol...

#9 ·
Cool guys, tons of great info. Fortunately, this is for someone with money, and i stumbled across a kit for the rear, that only needs a couple small welds, but it has all the conversion brackets for on the swinger.

the fronts arent an issue yet, those are nearly new. they will get swapped after they wear down

#11 ·
#12 ·
That kit is a direct bolt on.Should not require any welding what so ever.I posted a link to the company that is selling that kit on ebay on the first page.It's $20 cheaper to order direct from the company link I provided.You have to scroll down a bit on the page to find the brake kit.Either way it will work out good for you.Good luck.

#13 ·
Thanks man! but it seems a tab must be welded to the brake lever for the master cylinder. no big deal whatsoever though.

#14 ·
i use that GTS kit on my drag blaster..i had to do no cutting or welding at all...good kit..it stops me well from 80+ mph.

#16 ·
I have a GTS style setup for the blaster with all brackets and steel braided lines.
Needs a rebuild [leaks] & will sell for $60. All the fittings used are plumbing fittings found at Lowes.
I decided to install a Banshee caliper setup.. Easier to fix and spare parts are everywhere.

#17 ·
they hydro swap is not a big deal if you get the correct parts, you can get banshee spindles that have been professionally altered to accept blaster a arms for $100 from norman420 over on BF. the little bit of a headache fabbin this stuff is well worth it to be able to actually stop when ou want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.