Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 78 yz400

Default 78 yz400

Just looking for some info on this bike. I picked it up last year for $150 off Cl locally. I think it's a 78. I've always wanted one of these vintage yamies. The thing didn't run when I got it. After cleaning the carb the thing fired right up and runs good. I had the seat recovered, clutch cable, and throttle cable were replaced. It needs a new needle, seet, silencer, and rear tire.

So, my question was is the 400 a pretty reliable runner ? Are they rare? I never see to posts on the yz400. Always seems to be the 250 or 490. How does the 400 compare to the 250?

94 Banshee, 4mil, dune/trail port, 35mmcarbs, procircuits, YFZ450 front end, etc...
    2000 Banshee (currently pc-ing & fresh top end)
    2000 Blaster
    79 YZ400
    86 Tri-Z (putting the finishing touches on it)
    PW50
    TTR-90
    Raptor 50

Quote Originally Posted by yooperbanshee View Post
    Just looking for some info on this bike. I picked it up last year for $150 off Cl locally. I think it's a 78. I've always wanted one of these vintage yamies. The thing didn't run when I got it. After cleaning the carb the thing fired right up and runs good. I had the seat recovered, clutch cable, and throttle cable were replaced. It needs a new needle, seet, silencer, and rear tire.

So, my question was is the 400 a pretty reliable runner ? Are they rare? I never see to posts on the yz400. Always seems to be the 250 or 490. How does the 400 compare to the 250?

i have never ridden one of these bikes but from what i have read it was a pretty fast bike should easily outrun an older 250 nice buy by the way
    i drag race because football,basketball,and baseball only take one ball

Sweet oldschool yz
    03' blaster

Thanks, I was just wondering if it was worth throwing anther 500 dollars (tire, plastics, Powdercoat or paint frame, exhaust) at it. Curious if they were somewhat reliable.
    94 Banshee, 4mil, dune/trail port, 35mmcarbs, procircuits, YFZ450 front end, etc...
    2000 Blaster
    79 YZ400
    PW50
    TTR-90
    Raptor 50

Spend the dough on a crank re-build, and a new piston and it will be dead nuts reliable.
    Ditch the mikuni and put on a 38mm Keihin PWK, that alone will make a big difference.
    I wouldn't say it's particularly collectible without a ground up restore but the parts are available.
    Lot's of stuff from the 76', 77', and 78' interchange so do your homework.
    "Paul,
    Thanks for sending the pictures - looks like a lot of fun! You did a great job."
    Regards,
    Bob Hannah

My motor is from 79'....Where will your 450 be in 30 years???
    DC facebook / Paul Baugher
    For details click here

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie B View Post
    Spend the dough on a crank re-build, and a new piston and it will be dead nuts reliable.
    Ditch the mikuni and put on a 38mm Keihin PWK, that alone will make a big difference.
    I wouldn't say it's particularly collectible without a ground up restore but the parts are available.
    Lot's of stuff from the 76', 77', and 78' interchange so do your homework.
    paulie knows lol hes probly got LOTS of advice on these
    1996 banshee
    trail bike
    1989 banshee
    backup trail bike(build in progress)
    1989 banshee
    (about to start my drag/dune build again)

Thanks a lot. I'll keep an eye out for a good used keihin. The motor runs real strong. I really like the bike. Just wanted to see if it was a reliable bike if I'm gonna put the time and money into it. Looks like she's a keeper. Thanks!
    2000 Blaster
    79 YZ400
    PW50
    TTR-90
    Raptor 50

Quote Originally Posted by yooperbanshee View Post
    Thanks a lot. I'll keep an eye out for a good used keihin. The motor runs real strong. I really like the bike. Just wanted to see if it was a reliable bike if I'm gonna put the time and money into it. Looks like she's a keeper. Thanks!
    Whats the motor code?
    "Paul,
    Thanks for sending the pictures - looks like a lot of fun! You did a great job."
    Regards,
    Bob Hannah

My motor is from 79'....Where will your 450 be in 30 years???
    DC facebook / Paul Baugher
    For details click here

2k8-003967
    2000 Blaster
    79 YZ400
    PW50
    TTR-90
    Raptor 50

im not sure about the 400 but the yz465 was excellent bike and was highly collectable and worth a good chunk of money if its still in good original condition. do some investigating before you start throwing any of the original parts in the trash. most of them older bikes are worth far more if theyre unmolested. if you know what i meen.
    Last edited by ktm550; 03-26-2011 at 10:05 AM.