Everything2Stroke Forum banner

Timing +4 Banshee Mod

23K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  t5banshee350 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I was thinking about ordering a +4 Timing Plate for $35.00 from Ricky Stator.

I was wondering what you guys thought about this.

I ride trails and I heard this was a good mod for a stock engine. My question is, do I need to mix racing fuel? If I do then I don't want to do this mod, I pay enough for gas as is.

Are there any other good mods that I don't have done yet, for trail riding? My mods are in my sig. Thanks!

#2 ·
I cant give a direct answer to how good a ricky plate is as I use a pro design.
+5 is the max you really want to go on anything other than drag'r. As every degree you up the timing the more heat the motor will create. I run +4 on my
mild shee as for me the low end is real good and the top doesnt just come to a stop. And I have no overheat issue.
I keep my compression around 140 as anything over 145-150 you are getting into race fuel.
When you get into drag builds running alky timing advancement can go much higher +10 to +12 only as alky burns cooler and the motor is run for short burst's.

IMO +4 on your mods you will gain low/mid/and not lose top end.And should have no ill effect on the motor.

#3 ·
i run that plate and i like it. but i had to sand the paint off the edge where it meets the case it was really thick after that no problems and i have +4 timing,with a stock head milled 20thousands with fmf pipes and other small things on pump gas (93oct) and it is a great set up for all around riding i ride it in tight trails,dunes,dirt roads and everywhere else! and the timing advance was a great mod! well worth it dude hope this helps ya out just dont do more then 4 because you will have to run race gas

#4 ·
Yea I'm running the same plate. +4 will work just fine what you got now. Also might get the head milled & lighten the flywheel.

#5 ·
have you seen the do it yourself thread someone where online, they mod the stock timing plate. i don't know if i should just get a new one or try and mod the stock one, it seems pretty simple other than the special tool needed for the flywheel that is mentioned.

i don't wanna do too much work to the engine, i want it to stay reliable, and am not sure if the engine has been rebuilt yet so it would suck if i did a lot of work now and then it sh!t the bed lol. i will probably take the engine apart and have more work done when i rebuild it. how many years does it last until it needs a rebuild? what should my compression range be?

#6 ·
well stock it shouldnt be bellow 120psi id hope for 125-130 depending on where you are at and yah iv seen it but really for the time you spend moding it id rather spend the 30 bucks and since yours is a 03 if it hasn't had a topend rebuild yet its probably due for one

#7 ·
i have an 06

#8 ·
i guess ima go ahead and order the timing plate and make it +4. hopefully everything goes as planned. is there anything else i need to buy to compensate for the increase in power? (i.e clutch springs, etc)

#9 ·
Just get the plate bolt it on, set it up. If the clutch is fine now the'll be no need to replace anything. I will suggest putting a pancake clutch pusher setup and a billet water pump impeller.
Ask any shee owner and they will tell you these simple 2 items are worth every penny.

#15 ·
Bad news, I didn't do the mod myself. I was unaware I needed a flywheel puller, and that I had to drill holes in my stock timing plate. I guess I should have read into it a bit more. But anyways, I ordered a ton of parts coming in all week, and I'll have it all done and ready to ride by next weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.