Default 1994 kawasaki bayou 4x4 300 dies out while riding like someone turned off the key

hi guys....i know this is a 2 stroke website...and i am on here with my 2 stroke rm and snowmobile. i was hoping your expert people could help me identify a problem, i have a kawasaki four wheeler..that when your riding it just all of a sudden loses fire and dies. it will do this about every 15 min . almost like someone turned the key off. what are the chances of it being a bad stator? its a 94. gimmee a lil insight on what to look for. thanks,

Bad staor or cdi are possibilities. Also have you checked to make sure you are getting proper fuel flow. I know that you probably wont be able to with it running, since it should be vaccum pulled to the carb. I'm not knocking you quad but good luck fixing it and know what a pita those are to work on since I just got done working on my uncle's bayou 400. I have his BRP quest xt(the goofy step thru kind) and it's even worse to work on than the bayou. I hate 4 strokes!!!

my father in law has one and same year and model too! they go great for trails and general chore work very reliable and peppy for its size .id look for a fuel problem interuption of flow and if that checks out stasrt doing some electrical investigation
    CLICK BELOW FOR MY NEW SITE

http://flotekperformance.com/home
    HELP SUPPORT OUR SITE >http://forums.everything2stroke.com/...ad.php?t=35928
    http://www.rjatv.com/
    cheapest ^^performance parts online

my budy had a problem with his bike shutting off after riding for 15 to 30 minutes.it was his cdi box.but the easiest way to fix it would be trade it in on a new kawasaki brute force 750.I love my brute...lol

cdi i think! my dad had a couple of these bayous n i think he had the same problem with one of them (look for surface rust on the connections)

jenny is her name!
    2001 yamaha blaster

1991 Honda CR 250R
    (under construction)

thanks for the help

Default Electrical connection

I have had a few occasion in which the electrical plug becomes unconnected. I found this connection by accident. There is a plug under the center of the handlebars, and in front of the gas tank under the plastic. When the handlebars are turned right and left it may pull the plug due to lack of slack. I cannot remember the fix, but putting a cable tie around the plug or taping it will make sure the connection stays together.

The plug is the master connection to the controls on the handle bars. You may have to remove some of the front plastic to get to the connection.

Good luck.

it could be overheating. Or the stator is getting hot, but when it cools, it's fine again.

I had sort of the same problem when a stator went bad. A cdi rarely goes bad.

A quick primer on Capacitive Discharge Ignition

The CDI will rely on the voltage received from stator to function, Stator generates voltage, voltage goes to through diodes in the CDI that act as a checkvalve, and the capacitor(s) will "store" energy until the signal is received from the ignition sensor to dump the voltage to the plugs.

Really, the way to increase voltage from the stator is to increase the number of turns of wire, or increase the speed of the magnets around stator. Bad stator reduces voltage output. Long story short , if the stator goes bad, your CDI should be fine.

top7.6 [WHAT GOES BAD IN CDIs]

> Electronic components HATE heat!!

That is why most CDI modules have lots of heat sink fins on them (Ever look how your Pentium chip is mounted?). DON'T leave your computer on all night!? But ...Yea-aah, don't turn it OFF and ON 5 times every hour either....?!? ...... because .......

> Integrated circuits also hate POWER SURGES! .........and the THERMAL stress of going from cold to hot to cold.

The symptoms of ANY CDI type module going bad are very similar. They start to fail when the engine (and it) gets hot. They don't always fail altogether but gradually and intermittently as some or many IC components on the circuit board break down with heat. This is why a good electronic repair shop has cans of a "Freon" type spray (turn your "AIR DUST OFF" spray can upside down.... its the same thing). They will selectively chill each component till they can find the one that’s breaking down with heat. I'll bet many CDI modules that quit after start will work OK if you chill them down.

top7.7 [THE HARSH TRUTH ABOUT BROKEN TCI / CDI MODULES]

You Cannot Prove A TCI / CDI is Good. You can only prove that its BAD.

With the exception of newer automobiles and high end fuel injected marine motors .... manufacturers make NO "test bed"module you can plug a CDI into which will test if it's good. Worse, most retail parts shops will sell you electronic parts as is and you own them when you walk out the door (whether it turns out later you need them or not). A repair shop has the luxury of having some spares laying around. So they plug one in and see if it works. You can't aford this trial-and-error method because ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DamagedTCIb.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	28614